Sunday, June 6, 2010

Liquid Gold - Homemade Pancake Syrup

I had a different recipe lined up to share today, but this morning I made some pancakes for a bunch of giggling girls that had a sleepover last night.  Since the sleepover was a last minute plan, I did not put "pancake syrup" on my grocery list for the week.  However, I had been saving a recipe for a homemade pancake syrup for the next time we had pancakes, waffles, french toast, or Fluffy French Toast.  I already had all the needed ingredients in my fridge and pantry, total bonus!  Even bigger bonus, this was silly simple and CRAZY good!  Everyone LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!  It is a butter-y, caramel-y, maple-y luscious syrup that has forever convinced me to never buy store bought syrup again.

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp maple flavoring (found with all the extract flavors in the baking aisle)

In a medium pot over medium-high heat (you need enough room for this to boil), bring all ingredients to a rolling boil for 2-3 minutes.  Watch very carefully so the mixture does not over boil all over your stove.
This recipe serves about 5, so you may want to double for a large family.  Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, simply reheat in the microwave.


Recipe Source:  Tasty Kitchen member kmgregson

This recipe is linked up at:
Mommy's Kitchen Sunday Potluck

7 comments:

  1. So I love that you can make pancake syrup at home! Homemade items are so much healthier and tastier! In terms of taste, how does this compare? Same flavor or way different?

    Please let me know, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different but better :) I think it is more buttery and it has a caramel-y undertone to it too. I just love that I know what is going into it and not all the chemicals that allow it to keep forever and ever. I say try it and see how you like it. It won't make a ton, so maybe taste side by side and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I agree about all the chemicals and "junk" in store-bought items...blah! My mother bought a loaf of whole wheat bread the other day, and the 3rd ingredient is high fructose corn syrup!! I had to inform her, because there is no need for that junk in your bread.

    I will try this, the only ingredient I need to pick up at the store is maple flavoring. Do you think I could lower the amount of sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There have been people who have lowered the sugar and reported good results, so I think you would be ok to do that :) Let me know what you do and how you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I just made this! And oh my goodness, it's a wonderfully caramely syrup!!! You were right, much different than store bought syrup, but MUCH better.

    I cut the sugar down to 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 brown sugar...and wow did it work great! With the brown sugar, it really took on that caramel flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have now made 3 batches of this because my husband loved it so much!
    The first batch I made with 1/4 cup of both sugars, loved it.
    Second batch I tried margarine and water and 1/4 cup both sugars - ok but not as good as the first very runny
    Third batch I used butter, water and 1/4 cup both sugars and a little corn starch for thickening - awesome
    The reason I have been trying to leave out the milk is so that I can make bigger batches and have in the fridge for whenever we need it. I made a 750ml container, not sure how long it will last, guess we'll see

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still making (and loving) this homemade syrup!

    ReplyDelete